03 Apr 2015 id2 National Selection boys team: Where are they now? (VIDEOS)
By Heather Rule and Nick Wiese
Editor’s note: US Club Soccer congratulates its id² alumni, many of whom have turned youth opportunities into promising high-level collegiate and professional careers. This is one of seven articles in an ongoing series looking back at the players who have participated in id² National Selection programming. Top performers from id² Training Camps every year are invited to National Selection opportunities. For boys, that involves an annual international trip to play top youth academies around the world. For girls, that involves a world-class domestic camp with both ECNL and id² standouts.
The 2015 id² National Selection International Tour, held Feb. 28-March 10 in Argentina, marked the first time the id² Program traveled to South America. The team played against top academy teams of Velez Sarsfield, Boca Juniors, Argentinos Juniors and San Lorenzo de Almagro.
A duo from the 2015 id² National Selection International Tour roster remained teammates as part of the LA Galaxy Academy, while every player on the team is currently playing within the U.S. Soccer Development Academy.
- Julian Anderson (M), Ocean, N.J. – After a stint with PDA, Anderson is playing club soccer with the Philadelphia Union Academy 14-U team. The midfielder also participated in the U.S. 15-U team camp in January 2017.
- Luis Arriaga (F), Santa Rosa, Calif. – Arriaga moved to Real Salt Lake’s youth academy in Arizona at age 14, and has played for the 15/16-U team the last two years. In October 2016, Arriaga traveled with the U.S. 16-U national team to France.
- Ed Berumen (D/M), Salida, Calif. – Until last year, Berumen played with the Modesto Ajax club. He has moved to the Sacramento Republic FC’s 15/16-U squad.
- Eduardo Blancas (F), Napa, Calif. – Another member of Real Salt Lake’s 15/16-U team, Blancas previously played for Napa Valley FC. He has also represented the U.S. at the 16-U level.
- Judson Burns (D), Argyle, Texas – Burns has been a member with the FC Dallas 15-U Academy since 2015.
- Dominic De Almeida (M/D), Lincoln Park, N.J. – De Almeida has represented PDA since the 13-U level and is most often playing for the 15/16-U team, although he has made two appearances for the 17/18-U squad. He has also been a member of U.S. 16-U team.
- Jesus Esparza (M), – Newark, Calif. – Esparza has played for Palo Alto SC and the De Anza Force soccer clubs.
- Angel Flores (F), Carlsbad, Calif. – Flores is at the LA Galaxy Academy in San Diego.
- Abraham Gonzalez (M), Riverside, Calif. – After 25 appearances for the LA Galaxy’s 15/16-U team, Gonzalez transferred to FC Golden State for the 2016-17 season.
- Azriel Gonzalez (F), Las Vegas, Nev. – Previously of Heat FC, Gonzalez now plays for the Seattle Sounders U16 team and has also represented the U.S. at the 16-U level. (Update: Gonzalez has signed a pro contract for the Sounders’ USL team.)
- Luke Hansen (D), Littleton, Colo. – Hansen has been with the Colorado Rush since 2015 and has most recently participated with the 17/18-U team.
- Bryang Kayo (M), Montgomery Village, Md. – Kayo joined Bethesda SC-Olney’s 13/14-U team during the 2015-16 season before spending part of the next with the Bethesda SC 14-Us.
- Lorenzo Lopez (M), Oregon City, Ore. – Lopez played for Crossfire Premier SC in 2015 and is currently competing with the Portland Timbers Academy.
- Cole McNally (GK), Mt. Airy, Md. – The goalkeeper is a constituent of Bryang Kayo at Bethesda SC. McNally spent time with the 13/14-Us at Bethesda-Olney in 2015-16 before moving up to the 15/16-U squad, where he’s stayed for 2016-17 season.
- Togo Nakamura (D), Torrance, Calif. – One of the LA Galaxy Academy’s contingent, Nakamura joined the club’s 13/14-U team in the 2015-16 season. He spent the majority of the 2016-17 season with the 15/16-U squad, but did see time with the 17/18-U team.
- Leonardo Sepulveda (D), Corona, Calif. – Sepulveda has been a teammate of Nakamura at the LA Galaxy Academy since 2015, as both defenders moved from the 13/14-U team in 2015-16 to the 15/16-U team for 2016-17.
- Noah Thomas (GK), Lakewood, Wash. – After playing for Washington Premier FC, Thomas moved on to the Seattle Sounders Academy, where he plays for the 15-U side.
- Donovan Wu (D/M), Medford, N.J. – Wu moved from Continental FC in Pennsylvania to the Philadelphia Union Academy, where he is a member of the 15-U team.
Stay tuned for the final articles looking back at past id2 National Selection teams, as we check in on the 2016 teams tomorrow (Tuesday). More information on US Club Soccer’s id2 Program can be accessed at usclubsoccer.org/id2.
ABOUT US CLUB SOCCER:
A National Association member of the U.S. Soccer Federation, US Club Soccer fosters the growth and development of soccer clubs in order to create the best possible environment for players of all ages.
Anchored by Players First and its five pillars of Club Development, Coaching Development, Player Development, Parent Engagement & Education and Player Health & Safety, US Club Soccer offers registration, league- and cup-based competition platforms, player identification and a variety of other programming, resources and services.
US Club Soccer is sponsored by Nike and supported by LaLiga through a technical partnership.