18 Jul Member Update: Reminder regarding U.S. Soccer Federation PDIs effective as of August 1, 2017
July 17, 2017
This Member Update serves as a reminder of the U.S. Soccer Federation Player Development Initiatives (PDIs) that become effective as of August 1, 2017.
Please read below for detail, as well as an overview of the PDIs that have already been implemented.
Effective Aug. 1, 2017:
- Small-sided games standards: The
February 2017 U.S. Soccer presentation(UPDATE – Aug. 14) August 2017 U.S. Soccer presentation available in English and Español, regarding PDIs further explains the player development philosophy, exact field specifications, age groups and standards for 4v4 (pages 13-23), 7v7 (24-39) and 9v9 (40-50) play. Also, a chart is shown below.
With the exception of the player development philosophies, which are provided as a best practice, the small-sided standards are required as of Aug. 1, 2017. (See page 51 of the presentation.)
All US Club Soccer-sanctioned programming taking place August 1 or later must abide by these small-sided standards, regardless of when sanctioning approval was issued.
UPDATE: More information on the U.S. Soccer Player Development Initiatives can now be found on this ussoccer.com web page.
- Concussion protocols and heading: U.S. Soccer announced the U.S. Soccer Concussion Initiative, which provides guidelines that were implemented beginning in January 2016. US Club Soccer clarified these implementation guidelines and rules relating to heading.
- Modified substitution rules and new protocols regarding suspected head injuries: These initiatives came into effect on Jan. 1, 2016.
- Certified athletic trainers at large tournaments: Any tournament projected to have 64 or more teams at 11-U and older age groups must have an adequate number of certified athletic trainers or other healthcare professionals in attendance. This requirement was implemented as of Jan. 1, 2016.
- Birth-year registration: US Club Soccer, along with other major youth soccer organizations, mandated birth-year registration to its members in August 2016. A season matrix is available here.
Please contact your respective US Club Soccer membership services representative with any questions.
Thank you for your support.
US Club Soccer