January 11, 2022
I was first elected to the US Club Soccer Board of Directors in 2015 and then appointed as Chairperson in 2017. In that time, our board has been intentional in becoming more inclusive and, while recognizing more needs to be done, I am proud of the advancements we have made to better represent and lead our sport. I could have never imagined my journey would include the privilege to serve as CEO/Executive Director of US Club Soccer. So many of you have my gratitude for the support and knowledge you provided me along the way.
Bill Sage and Kevin Payne laid a solid foundation for the organization, and each made a tremendous impact in our sport. I assume the role at a time when US Club Soccer is the largest and healthiest of its 20-year existence largely due to their leadership. The transition over the past six months has afforded me the opportunity to look to 2022 and beyond. As a result, our team has already made significant enhancements.
- This past October, our board and senior staff met together for the first time in the organization’s history in the beginning stages of establishing a 5-year strategic plan.
- Conducted an intense review and update of our Participant Safety/Risk Management Policies, to remain in compliance with U.S. Soccer policy and U.S. Center for SafeSport MAAPP, and further prioritize the well-being of our collective members.
- We have transitioned our Players First club licensing to a long-term philosophy that guides each decision to impact its pillars: Club Development, Coach Development, Player Development, Parent Engagement & Education and Player Health & Safety.
- In February, we will host a “Competition Summit” in conjunction with the ECNL Coaching Symposium, powered by US Club Soccer, to provide a platform for our league leadership to influence programming and clarify the competition pathway.
- In the coming days, we will officially announce three new hires to bolster existing departments/resources, meet important strategic initiatives, and support the needs of our membership: (1) Senior Director of Communications & Marketing; (2) Senior Manager of Risk Management, Discipline & Appeals; and (3) Coordinator of Club Development & Outreach.
I have established three main priorities to lead US Club Soccer:
- People. We will invest in and amplify our staff and be intentional about the culture we want for our organization.
- Market. We will listen and seek to understand the geographic, socio-economic and cultural similarities, differences and nuances that impact our sport, so we may better serve and support our members in developing future leaders.
- Business. I am accountable to our staff, board and membership in leading the business forward through authentic budgeting, reviewing our programs and identifying opportunities to invest in the game.
Throughout my career, I’ve had the privilege of working with incredibly talented and passionate people. I have worked primarily in the youth game as a parent, coach, technical director, coach educator, executive director, league administrator/president, tournament director and referee. I bring those perspectives to this role with a priority on service to our members and growth of our sport.
Ultimately, I am most excited about this opportunity because of the staff. US Club Soccer has attracted some of the most talented and loyal people in our sport. The success of the organization is due to their ability, and I’m honored to join the team and provide them the resources necessary to be successful.
Thank you, as always, for your support.
ABOUT US CLUB SOCCER
A National Association member of the U.S. Soccer Federation, US Club Soccer fosters the growth and development of soccer clubs in order to create the best possible environment for players of all ages.
Anchored by Players First and its five pillars of Club Development, Coaching Development, Player Development, Parent Engagement & Education and Player Health & Safety, US Club Soccer offers registration, league- and cup-based competition platforms, player identification and a variety of other programming, resources and services.
US Club Soccer is sponsored by Nike and supported by LaLiga through a technical partnership.