Mother’s Day: Supportive mothers in sports
Editor’s Note (May 10, 2023): This article was submitted by Onrise, which we have partnered with this May for Mental Health Awareness Month.
Mothers can play a critical role in their children’s athletic journeys, providing emotional support, practical help, and a source of motivation and inspiration. One of the most important ways that supportive mothers can help their children in sports is by providing emotional support.
Sports can be challenging and competitive, and athletes often face setbacks and failures along the way. Mom’s provide encouragement, comfort, and provide a listening ear. Supportive mothers can also help their children maintain a positive mindset, even in the face of adversity.
Here are some ways you can provide support and compliments to your child without praising their performance:
- Work Ethic: “You always put in 110% effort in everything you do, and that’s truly inspiring.”
- Teamwork: “You’re such a great team player and always know how to support and encourage your teammates.”
- Sportsmanship: “Your positive attitude and graciousness, both on and off the field, is a great example for others to follow.”
- Leadership: “You have a natural ability to lead and inspire others, and your teammates are lucky to have you as a role model.”
- Perseverance: “Your determination and resilience in the face of adversity is truly inspiring, and I admire your strength and courage.”
- Character: “You have such a kind and compassionate heart, and it shows in the way you treat others with respect and dignity.”
- Dedication: “Your commitment and dedication to your sport and your team is truly impressive, and you are a true asset to any team.”
- Creativity: “You have such a unique and creative approach to your sport, and it’s always exciting to see what you come up with next.”
- Humility: “Your humility and down-to-earth nature despite your accomplishments is truly refreshing, and it’s a testament to your character.”
- Versatility: “You have such a diverse skill set and are able to excel in a variety of different sports and activities, which is truly impressive.”
These compliments can be applied not just in sports, but in all areas of life, helping your child achieve success in school, work, and beyond.
Thank you to all of the supportive parents out there. Happy Mother’s Day!
Onrise is a compassionate mental health and player care company on a mission to provide care and support to athletes across the nation. Athletes face extreme physical and psychological demands, as well as the typical pressures of managing their lives off the field, which can lead to extraordinary complexity and suffering that cannot be effectively addressed with standard approaches to wellness.
The Onrise Player Care Program provides a complete, whole-person wellness program that considers each athlete’s unique life experiences and biopsychosocial status to secure progress in all areas of their lives – not just on the pitch.
Contact us to set up a screening to support and protect the athlete in your life.
ABOUT US CLUB SOCCER
A National Association member of the U.S. Soccer Federation, US Club Soccer fosters the growth and development of soccer clubs in order to create the best possible environment for players of all ages.
Anchored by Players First and its five pillars of Club Development, Coaching Development, Player Development, Parent Engagement & Education and Player Health & Safety, US Club Soccer offers registration, league- and cup-based competition platforms, player identification and a variety of other programming, resources and services.
US Club Soccer is sponsored by Nike, DICK'S Sporting Goods and Gatorade.